WeekEnd Reads: The Twenty-One By Lauren McKellar


The Twenty-One (Emerald Cove #2)  
Book Title: The Twenty-One
Series: Emerald Cove #2
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Author: Lauren K. McKellar
Purchase: AMAZON USAMAZON UK

Book Overview

I look both ways before I cross the road. I knot my laces twice. Boring? Sure. But it’s also settled. Stable. Safe.

And I like safe.

Because broken bones may eadsbe hard to heal, but broken hearts are even harder. And when the man I loved and lost comes charging back into my life, I won’t fall for his charms again … will I?

Joel Henley just might be my biggest risk yet.

My name is Ellie Mayfield. And this is my undoing.

My Review

*ARC Provided for an Honest Review*

If I had saved my tears it would be in a huge pail right now. This is only the second time in my history of reading that I encountered plots like this. I don't want to say much aside from the fact that the book was perfect at the same time heart breaking.

I absolutely forgot what the book was about before I started reading. I know I read its blurb before I went out of town and I don't know why I completely forgot it. Like, I have no recollection of what it is about aside from the Hero's name. So I said, whatever I'll just carry on and read it. I thought it was the perfect second chance romance only to find my world collapse when I got to the twist. I could not, for the life of me, save myself from the tears that started to come out of my eyes. Since that part onwards, I was a mess. No Joke, When I woke up the next day after reading the book my eyes felt so heavy and they were so thick.

Honestly, I did not read the first book on this series because I knew I would hurt but I think the hurt I endured in this book is so much more painful than if I had read the first one. I felt real pain and this is why I am giving this book the 5 stars it deserves.

Joel and Ellie were exceptional characters. Ellie's life was so heavy at the same time sad while Joel is living his life to the fullest. The love story was perfect, I thought this book was very well written and the aftermath was so inspiring that I had to hold my kindle for a minute and hug it so tight when I finished it. I love this book. I don't know how to congratulate Lauren anymore than praising this.

Excerpt

There’s something so freeing about this moment—something so dangerously safe, yet all-consuming. Going fast takes the breath from my chest.

It’s a feeling I’ve run from, but damn—it’s so addictively good.

We come to a stop four laps later, and as the car softens its roar to a throaty hum, my breath finally slows, my chest rising and falling at a speed of normalcy. 

Joel reefs the helmet from his head and turns to me, his face alive with excitement. “Holy shit, El.”

I laugh, and it’s so freeing. So liberating. I undo my own helmet and rest it in my lap. “That was ... wow.”

“Right?” He laughs again, and then reaches across the console to take my hand with his warm one.

“I liked it way more than I thought I would,” I admit, and this time his fingers squeeze mine.

“What were you so afraid of, Ellie?” Joel asks.

You, I want to say. I’m afraid of you breaking my heart again.

“Come on, Ellie. Tell me.”

I pause, my eyes on the road we’re hurtling down with no brakes. “Life. Death.” Then, after a moment … “Falling.”

He reaches over and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear.
My heart stops.
My breath stills.

“I’ll promise to be here to hold you, Ellie.” His words send a shiver down my spine. “I’ll catch you when you fall.”
JOIN THE GIVE AWAY!
There is a giveaway for a $25 Amazon gift card

0 comments